Poll: The need for a free, public domain, and non-copyright English version of the Eastern Peshitta
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, get a group of volunteers who know Aramaic and will try to do this from scratch using the Aramaic manuscripts available. <Except the Khabouris - which is copyrighted>
7.69%
1 7.69%
Yes, get a group to instead revise the existing translations (Etheridge or Murdock) using the Eastern / ACoE manuscripts and also consulting Etheridge, Murdock, and Norton texts. <Not using the Khabouris though, because it is copyrighted. >
0%
0 0%
Yes, but rather assemble a group of volunteers to help update and complete the Paul Younan Interlinear.
23.08%
3 23.08%
Or...translate the Khabouris manuscript, if provided permission from the copyright holder(s).
23.08%
3 23.08%
No, rather request that the upcoming CoE translation fulfil the role of "free", "non-copyright" and "public domain" version of the Bible.
23.08%
3 23.08%
NO! There is NO need for another translation of the Bible to be out there!
7.69%
1 7.69%
No! Do it yourself! I won't partake in this.
7.69%
1 7.69%
I don't care.
7.69%
1 7.69%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your opinion on this?
Luc Lefebvre Wrote:You've obviously never done translation work before. You do realize that the majority of the translations out there all used some sort of base text, right? Including some of the most scholarly translations like the NASB.
What am I going to translate, English into Hillbilly? Even that would be a joke as I do not understand English, muchless Hillbilly, all to well. I barely graduated the 12th grade! In English I made Fs Ds and Cs for the most part with a possible B once a year. But I have studied many English translations and have found that much trash from the base text carries over to the revisions, and this includes your precious NASB!

Luc Lefebvre Wrote:Besides, no matter how "pure" of a translation you get, there will always be mud in the water. Sometimes problems you find in the English translations don't go away when you learn the original...
Yes, and one can pick apart a million dollar house as well, but at least it is worth something! And yes one can try and spend a million dollars on a shack and they will have something that is unstable and/or routine at the heart of it. It is ALWAYS best to build a million dollar house from scratch.

ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:You can't translate Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek perfectly into English either. There are always certain idioms and words that can't be captured adequately in the English language.
Even a idiot such as myself understands this point, but I am hoping that one day that will be all that hinders a pure translation of the Eastern PeshittA. I hope one day that a translation will leave out there bias and just translates as accurately the best they can and then put the rest into footnotes or commentary books. So despite the obstacles I still believe a fresh translation can be done leaving out (all) the trash of the past (and present crude also).

So instead of people with scholarly understanding wasting their time trying to enlighten me on all their excuses as to why they have not made an accurate translation yet, I would suggest that the only thing in the way of having one is where their focus lies. HINT HINT.

Messages In This Thread
What's your opinion on this? - by DrawCloser - 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by DrawCloser - 01-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by SteveCaruso - 01-07-2013, 02:33 AM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by The Texas RAT - 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by Thirdwoe - 01-09-2013, 05:19 AM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by distazo - 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by Burning one - 01-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by Thirdwoe - 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by distazo - 01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by distazo - 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Re: What's your opinion on this? - by distazo - 01-13-2013, 08:06 AM