Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake
Hello everyone-

I want to reply in a reserved manner here. I do not believe that the Stories mentioned above are contradictory. My own analysis points me to an earlier time.
Many see parallels of TYPE (in Matthew, esp.) between the Moses of the OT and Jesus of the NT.
I look at Alexander Jannaeus ( Hasmonean and of the House of Eleazar) as a Type and I do so here.

The Pharisees are hated by the Hasmoneans and if you go to Josephus, you find the reason - the hatred was mutual. Hyrcanus 1 was told by a Pharisee named "Eleazar" (Hmmm...) that his mother was a "Comfort Girl" to the Greeks:

Josephus, _Antiquities..._, 13, 10, 5:

"We have heard it from old men, that thy mother had been a captive under the reign of Antiochus Epiphanes." This story was false, and Hyrcanus was provoked against him; and all the Pharisees had a very great indignation against him..."

Jannaeus faces the same smear:

Josephus, _Antiquities_, 13, 13, 5:

They also reviled him [[Jannaeus]], as derived from a captive, and so unworthy of his dignity and of sacrificing.

The smear is explicit against Hyrcanus 1 and Jannaeus but it becomes submerged and hidden when attached to Jannaeus' wife, Queen Salome. It is "assumed" that Jannaeus married his brother's wife, "...who was called Alexandra by the Greeks..." in a Leverite Ritual. Jannaeus, "who was the superior in age and in moderation" to his brother, would have been 13 at the time of marriage to a "Salome Alexandra" (See Jewish Encyclopedia, "Alexandra"). In short, Jannaeus did not marry "Salome Alexandra", his brother's wife. Jannaeus married Salome.
With this, we see by way of Type, that the Pharisees are using a Racial and Class Smear against both Jesus and the woman:

Luke 7: 39 (RSV):

[39] Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw it, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner."

I believe that the Stories from Mark and Luke are different although the subjects are the same. The Hasmoneans are legitimate Kings and High Priests. The Pharisees ran the government bureaucracy and, with the ascension of Queen Salome:

"So she had indeed the name of the regent, but the Pharisees had the authority... to say all at once, they differed in nothing from lords."

The Pharisee in the Lukan Story continues the Smear: Jesus could not be a Prophet (Or High Priest or King) because he would have known that this woman "...was a sinner". That is, she would prostitute herself to anyone - especially Greeks.

CW

Messages In This Thread
Re: Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake - by Charles Wilson - 11-10-2013, 10:28 PM