Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake
Shlama Akhay,

I'm not sure what the issue here is, but in Aramaic the word Garaba (jar-collector, jar-maker, keeper-of-jars, etc.) is a totally different word than Garba (leper). They are spelled with the same consonants, but the vowels are different and the words are pronounced differently.

Here is the relevant entry from Toma Audo's dictionary: (note: it is a secondary meaning as attested to by Mar Toma Audo below):

[Image: garaba.jpg]

Mar Toma noted (highlighted in blue) that "garba" is "leper" ("(he) who has leprosy in his flesh"). The secondary meaning, highlighted in red, is "garaba" ("he who has jars (garbe)").

I have translated "garaba" (jar-keeper) in Matthew 26:6, not "garba" (leper). See the context around the verse, too.

Additionally, it is not only we who have made this connection. It was also noted by Professor Charles C. Torrey of Yale Univesity (professor of Semitic Languages):

[Image: garaba-torrey.jpg]

We are told in Luke 17:12, that the ten lepers stood a distance from Christ while pleading to be cleansed...and we should make this verse in Matthew 26:6 read that Christ walked into a leper's home, and others were voluntarily present also?

I don't understand why you are making such a big deal about this topic, Akhi Distazo?

+Shamasha

Messages In This Thread
Re: Potter in MT 26 A translation mistake - by Paul Younan - 11-09-2011, 04:23 AM