Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback on translation updates in 4th Edition AENT
Shalom everyone,

So, I was discussing the time of Yeshua's death (14th or 15th of Aviv/Nisan) with someone, examining the language within the synoptics and in comparison to John's account, trying to reconcile some things. And then, out comes Andrew's 4th edition of the AENT with some translation changes on this very issue which would technically clear up some issues between the different accounts. These are issues that arise when you take the stance that the crucifixion was on a day other than Friday (although the clarifying changes add a challenge to some streams of theology, but that's a different issue altogether).

Now Andrew has footnotes explaining the changes from his perspective, but I'd like to post the verses in question to see what everyone here thinks. Then, because I think I have a fairly good grasp on it, I can summarize Roth's justification without just copying his work to see what you all think.

The verses in question are,

"And when the afternoon was setting on the (Annual) Shabbat," (Mark 15:42 AENT)

"And the day was ending and the (Annual) Shabbat was closing." (Luke 23:54 AENT)

"And the Yehudeans, because it was the setting of the day said, "These bodies should not remain on their stakes because the (Annual) Shabbat is closing" (Yochanan 19:31a AENT)

Thanks a lot everyone!

Messages In This Thread
Feedback on translation updates in 4th Edition AENT - by Luc Lefebvre - 08-22-2011, 05:45 AM