Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven
rungold315 Wrote:But before I got distracted, what I REALLY was gonna bring up is...if everybody is supporting that the closest-to- original-NT only has 22 books, then why praise the AENT so much, knowing the Western 5 is added?

Fear of the curse of taking from the Word?

I no longer believe I should have crossed out 1 John 5:7 from my Bible, nor should I have considered questioning the Western 5 in my mind at any point, because these things dont take away from the meaning of the word. (The father, son, and spirit ARE one, did the gospels not already tell you that? The addition of the word "three" is just meant to indicate three identies, or what I think to be more precise, three subjects of thought at hand)

And without at least Revelation, the Bible certainly wouldnt seem as complete compared to us having it (Though without it, the message still survives loud and clear and has all of what we need to be saved.

So it all comes to faith, I suppose...if the Western 5 and 1john 5:7 was so sketchy, why did it survive in all the most popular forms of the Bible today?

*******Note-Im still, however, really confused about the Pericope Adulterae because in THIS particular verse, there does appear to be a contradiction in what YHWH previously commanded which thus in my mind "takes away from the word" and causes damage to my spiritual trust.********

My limited understanding is that while the 22 books were given origingally, the 5 MAY be authentic but were merely received later. That and from what I am aware, if not "sacred scripture", they are considered similar to the Minor Prophets of the TaNaK as some consider it. Not as "Inspired" but useful all the same so included. I personally do make that distinction. The 22 are Inspired, the other 5 are useful. I see no issue with them in that light.

As for 1John 5:7, I personally reject it as authentic, but always have even before I ever heard of the PeshittA/O. The Pericope Adulterae has always been questionable and I am fine with it being rejected although my faith is not dependent on it one way or another.

To answer your question as to why they survived... (again going with my limited understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong) the East received the 22 and considered it "case-closed" so-to-speak. The West was more open (for better or worse) to receive other books at a later time (or perhaps they were in the right place to receive them immediately... and then debate their authenticity/canonicity over the centuries). As for 1John 5:7, I believe it cannot be found in the main text of any documents until the 14th or 15th century. Before then, it COULD be found as a marginal note in documents dating from the 10th century. (again, I am open to reasonable correction on this point). A site which has a for/against position regarding this is http://www.godglorified.com/1_john_57.htm which is against, and http://www.godglorified.com/edward_hill.htm which is for it. I find the against FAR more persuasive and likely. Mind you, these are not Aramaic Primacy sites, but all else I feel is right on.
All in all, much of the survival I think has to do with the curse of taking away from the Word as you mentioned. That and for so long, the most (in)famous KJV, and the older Vulgate had it and well... we know how the early Western Church felt about questioning the Bible. Since then, some traditions are hard to break.

Messages In This Thread
The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by Thirdwoe - 08-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by Thirdwoe - 11-18-2011, 04:15 AM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by Aaron S - 01-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by Thirdwoe - 01-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by Thirdwoe - 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by Thirdwoe - 01-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by Thirdwoe - 01-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by Thirdwoe - 01-25-2012, 03:25 AM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by distazo - 01-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by PM Saunders - 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Re: The Messiah IS YHWH ---> Proven - by Thirdwoe - 01-26-2012, 04:07 PM