Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does the AENT 4th edition compare to the others?
Jerry Wrote:
Paul Younan Wrote:Not when used in "beth Israel" and other constructs, which refers to the nation of Israel.
+Shamasha
I don't think so. Consider this example:

and-the-many the-lepers being they-were among Yisroyel, in-the-days-of Elisha the-prophet - Luke 4:27

I know others often translate it as "the-house-of", but I think it is a misread of the word. The probability is that "among" is the default word, and the construct "the-house-of" a rare exception, when it actually refers to a house or building. I have yet to see it used next to "Israel" when it could not be translated as "among".

Beyath (among) and Beyth (house) are two different words, they are pronounced differently although they contain the same consonants. The difference is the "Kulah" (singular "all" which points to the "beyth") in Acts 2:36, in that context "all the House of Israel" is the more appropriate translation, not "among". It is the singular "Kulah" that's the key.

If the translation were as you propose, "all among Israel", then the singular "Kulah" would be the plural "Kulhon"....as in "Kulhon beyath Israel" (all those among Israel). The suffix of "Kulah" would be the 3rd p. plural -hon.

This is why I say it's painfully obvious to me you do not understand the very basics of the language.

Jerry, you cannot use dictionaries and lexicons as your sole basis for translation. You have to understand the grammar, to look beyond a word itself at the surrounding context at times. Things like suffixes, number and gender of surrounding words are important...very important. Take that as constructive criticism, not as an insult. Aramaic does not behave like English.

+Shamasha

Messages In This Thread
Re: How does the AENT 4th edition compare to the others? - by Paul Younan - 08-23-2011, 09:49 PM