Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
language of primitive church
distazo Wrote:
Dawid Wrote:
ariveira Wrote:Tank's Dawid

This happens because of the captivity in Babylon?
They learned the wire there, and back to Israel entered the language?

Alexandre Riveira
brazil
Yes, they learned Aramaic in the Babylonian exile. It seems, though, that when they returned there was a Hebrew revival, and for a while Hebrew was spoken again, but this seems to have fallen out of favor fairly quickly, and by the first century BCE, most of the documents we have are again in Aramaic.

I wonder, whether prophet Jona, who wanted to fly to Tarsis, but he went afterward to the City Nineveh of the Assyrians, what language did he speak and could he speak and did he expect to have country fellowmen in Tarsis where they could understand each other?

Why did Peter go to Babylon? Did he expect there people to whom he could talk and relate to?

I think, between those cities, people could understand each other more or less.
I believe that Aramaic in ancient times was like Arabic is today.
To a certain extent that is probably accurate, though I doubt that as many people were bilingual. Jonah may have spoken Aramaic (we know from the story of Hezekiah that Aramaic was not commonly spoken in Judah at this time, but that it was also not entirely unknown) but it may also be that he was expecting to find someone to translate for him once he got there. It is entirely possible, by Jonah's time, that he could have known Aramaic. However, I think it would be a mistake to think that this was true very long before Jonah. Aramaic use expanded with the Neo-Assyrian Empire. Before that Aramaic would have been extremely rare in Canaan.

Messages In This Thread
language of primitive church - by ariveira - 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Re: language of primitive church - by Dawid - 05-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Re: language of primitive church - by ariveira - 05-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Re: language of primitive church - by Dawid - 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Re: language of primitive church - by distazo - 05-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Re: language of primitive church - by Innoire - 05-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Re: language of primitive church - by judge - 05-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Re: language of primitive church - by Dawid - 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM