Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Wine and alcohol in the Aramaic New Testament?
Leviticus 10 actually proves to us that drinking wine is acceptable, since the priests were only prohibited from drinking it when they entered the sanctuary (verse 9). The implication here is that the rest of the time it is acceptable.
Deuteronomy 14:26, it is actually commanded for you to buy wine and "strong drink" for the festival and to have a feast before God. I can make a reasonable case that this verse implies a level of intoxication, even.
Numbers 6:3, the Nazirite vow prevents a special class of people from having wine. This implies that it is fine for ordinary people, just not for the Nazirites.

If we are going to suggest that he was a winebibber if he drank at all we might aswell suggest that he was a glutton if he ate at all.
I disagree with your statement about being "drunk with wine." It is true that even a little bit will affect the individual drinking, but that's not what would be referred to as "drunk." I can have several glasses of wine or several beers, or even a couple shots of hard liquor long before I become anything like what would be called "drunk."

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Wine and alcohol in the Aramaic New Testament? - by Dawid - 03-04-2010, 12:31 PM