Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matay 1:1
Just thought I would share one last thought process on translating Matay 1:1. The second word d'iy:liy:duw:theh is interesting in that it is only used once in the NT. Common translations for it are "origin, descent, ancestry, genealogy, etc.". A "bottoms-up" way of approaching the word is to look at the root of it first. The root of d'iY:LiyBig Grinuw:theh is YLD. The TH is a feminine label, and the W and second Y are "matres lectionis" noun formers. D is typically a prefix for (of) and the EH suffix a 3sm possessive object (his) or (of him).
Which leaves us with the YLD root, which is "to-bear", "to-give-birth", "to-be-born", etc. The simplest noun form of that is "the-birth" or "a-birth". And the context of its use takes us to something like "birth line", "birth account", "birth record", "birth lineage", et. It is a subjective call at that point, but I kind of like "birthline" as it is the most simple and direct description of the context, and embodies the root word. Adding the prefix and suffix info, we get to "of-his-birthline".

k'thobo` d'iy:liy:duw:theh A-writing of-his-birthline,
d'yeshuw' mConfusedhiy:cho` of-Yeshua the-Anointed;
b'reh d'dawiyd son-his of-Dawid,
b'reh d'a`b:rohom son-his of Abrohom:

So that is just one individual perspective on Matay 1:1, and is just something I find interesting to do, sort of a hobby of mine.

Messages In This Thread
Matay 1:1 - by Jerry - 02-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Re: Matay 1:1 - by Jerry - 02-03-2010, 11:05 PM