Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrews 2:9 Revisited
gbausc Wrote:Shlama Stephen,

You stated:
Quote:It's informative in showing one possible reason for the variation between the eastern Peshitta and the western version which follows the Greek text.

Two questions: 1.Why do you assume the Western follows the Greek?
2. What does the Greek follow?

Dave Bauscher

Shlama Akhi David:
It is factual that the Khabouris Codex retains what is traditionally called the eastern reading of Hebrews 2:9 as does the 1892 "little red book" (Aramaic New Testament), which I purchased from Chicago. The "little red book" also contains the Western Five and the Book of Psalms. All Greek manuscripts that I have seen show "otos kariti Theo", "so that by the grace of God". This is translated into Aramaic as "b'taybutha Alaha". This is what has been traditionally called "the western reading" of Hebrews 2:9. The phrase in the eastern Peshitta text is "hu gir s'tar min Alaha" which is translated as "for he apart from God".

1) 1.Why do you assume the Western follows the Greek?
It's not so much an assumption as much as it's an observation of the evidence available and presented. All Greek New Testament manuscripts show some variation of "otos kariti Theo".

2. What does the Greek follow?
The Greek "otos kariti Theo" is a reflection of the teachings established by the Roman Catholic Church in the Fifth Century. These same teachings declare "theotokos", "mother of God" as opposed to the Assyrian Christian response to this with that of "Christotokos", "mother of Christ".

Akhi David, I don't want this to become a theological debate. I'm just showing a difference between the two readings and the "possible cause". I can't be definitive as to the full causes behind the Christological controversies but this difference between the two readings looks like a "smoking gun" to me.

Shlama,
Stephen
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">http://www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread
Hebrews 2:9 Revisited - by Stephen Silver - 08-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Re: Hebrews 2:9 Revisited - by gbausc - 09-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Re: Hebrews 2:9 Revisited - by Stephen Silver - 09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Re: Hebrews 2:9 Revisited - by Lars Lindgren - 09-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Re: Hebrews 2:9 Revisited - by Stephen Silver - 09-20-2009, 01:50 AM