Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do YOU read the Bible?
Shlama Akhi Daniel,

Great question, I'm surprised no one has touched this here before in the general section.

How do I read? With questions. And prayer. And open mind. And help of others (e.g. commentaries).
But nothing can substitute my own meditation upon the word and how it applies/relates to my life.
I read on my own and also with others. When I read with my children they are expected to ask questions.
I like listening to audio but it is not the same as reading, I do not know why, cannot define it really. Love reading outloud, it is different.

I have done in the past a "linear" reading of all Bible books following toc (OT and NT in parrallel, "killing" chapters on a list as I went along), just to make sure my eyes have seen all the verses, so I have earned membership in the "read whole Bible society" but I wouldn't repeat it in the same way, books need to be read in different order to have a good perspective, and funnily quite often I read and say "I have never seen this before!". Now? Psalms and Gospels every day (almost), weekly Torah portion (but not according to the parshiot, bad me, I know) and the rest as I feel right and necessary for the moment. Currently the books read are Acts and Melachim, evangelist is Mark. I'm not the best disciplined person so sometimes miss a day. Sometimes I feel I should stay with one or three Psalms for several days and do not move to the next.

Hope this helps someone.

Question to Akhan Andrew: The Weekly Scripture Readings in AENT do not cover all of the Tanakh, correct? So Daniel and Christina would need to use some other checklist (or reading plan) to make sure they cover all text, if they want to. You guys have encouraged me to give the list from AENT a try. So, where is the question ... Oh, here we go - how have you devised the matching of NT readings for each week, what was the underlying idea? Any existing, historical weekly reading schemes you have used? I was always wondering how different historical churches (COE, RCC, etc) come up with such liturgical reading lists.

Peace and blessings,
Jerzy

P.S. Tanakh in audio is available at Mechon Mamre for free. It would be FANTASTIC if similar list of mp3 files with Peshitta audio was made available. Maybe there is one but I'm not aware? I have actually helped in the past in indexing Tanakh mp3s in a free program called Davar (it also has an electronic searchable Peshitta text of BFBS 1905, unfortunately not in unicode fonts yet, only in square script - no nice fonts as at dukhrana). If you download mp3s from Mechon Mamre site and put them in the audio folder of this program you can click "play" at a particular verse and it starts reading it to ya starting from that place. There are websites with similar things now, I know, I know, hard to catch up with what happens on internet now. Starting to develop a rambling habit, I'm getting old, I guess.

Messages In This Thread
How do YOU read the Bible? - by rungold315 - 03-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Re: How do YOU read the Bible? - by Christina - 03-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Re: How do YOU read the Bible? - by Christina - 03-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Re: How do YOU read the Bible? - by enarxe - 03-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Re: How do YOU read the Bible? - by Doug in CO - 04-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Re: How do YOU read the Bible? - by ograabe - 04-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Re: How do YOU read the Bible? - by ograabe - 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Re: How do YOU read the Bible? - by enarxe - 04-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Re: How do YOU read the Bible? - by Sami Rabia - 02-11-2010, 09:48 PM