Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mari/PEACE website is up!
Shlama Akhi Doug,

That was Baruch's writing and his choice. I think he goes to some pretty good lengths to clarify what he means though, such as here:

The Aramaic text used in the AENT is the most original autograph that modern scholars know of at time of publication, most agree that the best text to translate from is also the most original.

I think that is a fair statement in terms of Peshitta Primacy. It is not saying the mss was signed by apostles but that it is the most intact version of their teaching that has survived into modern times. Of course I also believe the "autographs" and the Eastern 22 are at a thought-concept level one and the same. "original mss" also sounds a bit odd because Khabouris, like all mss is a COPY, though a very ancient one. I might word that sentence of Baruch's differently though and these things are even now being revised, so we will see what the final form takes. For now though, let me also draw your attention to this phrase:

No two Greek texts agree to the extent that over 360 Aramaic texts agree within the Peshitta family. The reader will discover that although the Khabouris Codex has very minor differences within the Peshitta family (these differences are well footnoted) the accuracy is still breath taking. The base text is extremely trustworthy and has been reproduced with acute accuracy for nearly two millennium.

I already told Baruch it should "millennia" there, and that Stephen Silver's name is not spelled right, but you see my point. He directly talks of "very minor differences" and "acute accuracy", but not perfect letter for letter transcription as "autograph" might otherwise imply.

Hope this helps!

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Messages In This Thread
Re: Mari/PEACE website is up! - by *Albion* - 09-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Re: Mari/PEACE website is up! - by glscottnz - 09-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Re: Mari/PEACE website is up! - by Christina - 09-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Re: Mari/PEACE website is up! - by *Albion* - 09-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Re: Mari/PEACE website is up! - by sean - 09-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Attention Andrew - by *Albion* - 09-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Re: Mari/PEACE website is up! - by Christina - 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Re: Mari/PEACE website is up! - by abudar2000 - 09-23-2008, 11:06 PM