Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major difference between MARI/PEACE and Bauscher's NT
Shlama Akhi Runggold,

By Torah principle, preists and Levites must have beards. Other israelites can as well but this is not required, Yes the Leviticus passage on not marring the corners of the beard is CLEARLY in connection with pagan death rituals and not a separated injunction.

But there is also positive example as welll--Joseph shaved before Pharaoh and his Levite biographer Moses didn't bat an eyelash in s writing it down. And contrary to the opinion of some Netzarim I have met over the years, it is NOT true Egyptian or Hyksos society would have forced Joseph to shave against his will. In tomb reliefs of the period (Beni Hasan and others) bearded easterners are shown welcome in Pharaohs courts as both leaders and servants. Joseph could have kept that scruff no problem.

Instead he chose to shave and Moshe said "no problem, no comment" In fact, beards were considered presitigious to the degree that many Egyptians would shave their faces and heads and then wear false wigs and beards. Even Hatshepsut, a female pharaoh, like to wear a false beard in public. So did King Tut and he had to--he was only 20 years onld when he died from a chariot accident.

I also have skin conditions that maker it necessary for me to shave. Hope this helps! If I was kohenim, that might be a different matter.

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Messages In This Thread
Beard stuff - by Andrew Gabriel Roth - 09-06-2008, 03:58 AM