Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Janet Magiera's PeshittO--Barnes and Noble Books
SeekEmet Wrote:After viewing the above-mentioned interview with Magiera I see why many have deemed her translation free of bias. A humble and contrite soul if ever there was one.

Without getting overly-technical with regards to her translation I will say that one could possibly have one of the purest translations available with Magiera's; one quite bereft of the guile of the ages.

Do we need to go deeper and farther down the dusty lane to look for word-for-word than Magiera or Jahn?

Correct me ever so quickly if you know any better, but doesn't the mere word "Literal" in 'Literal translation' provide proof enough of due diligence in the world of Aramaic translations? (which are many).

To ACT on the word I need to know the VERY word that was given.

Hence: Literal
Hence: Magiera

Despite all said, she has used 5 Western renderings within her translation. This defiantly shows a bias of some sort. She personally claims to only want to study the Aramaic to help her better understand Western Christianity which stems from the Greek texts, not because it was the oldest and best text we have today. Yes she did a great job for the most part, but she is a bit deceptive in saying she translated from the Eastern PeshittA Text. And Jahn has nothing but the Western renderings. Neither of these translations are of the PURE Eastern PeshittA Text but rather that of the Western PeshittO. So there is still a great need to want for better.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Janet Magiera's PeshittO--Barnes and Noble Books - by The Texas RAT - 02-24-2013, 06:36 AM