Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Ryan ('Amatsyah')
Shlama Ryan,

In 'The Lexicon To The Syriac New Testament' (by The Way International) # 1552 is 'Saddlemaker'.

"A saddle-or harness-maker does not make curtains or tent cloth."

According to 'The Concordance To The Peshitta Version of the Aramaic New Testament' (by The Way International) in in The Book of the Acts, Chapter 18:3, means "Worker of rough cloth".

One here can clearly see how the Greek translators got this wrong, and translated it as "tent maker".

Somewhere, I saw speculation that this was the "thorn in the flesh" mentioned by Paul (Sh'aul) in his writings.

That is, that his hands were pretty much devastated by the hard work of saddle (or harness, OR SADDLE AND HARNESS) making (perhaps by what we now know as arthritis).

And the second part of this speculation was that this kind of work was very tedious, and precise, and that Paul's (Sh'aul's) eyes were aging (or perhaps that he had cataracts), as were his hands, and that BOTH of these issues were his "thorn in the flesh" mentioned in his writings.

I find it rather fascinating that The Way International's 3 Volume New Testament translated Acts 18:3 as "saddlemaker", where this is from the Eastern text of the P'shitta, instead of from the Western text.

This tells me that The Way International translation team had people that clearly UNDERSTOOD Syriac, and knew HOW to translate this word, and there are also other parts of The Way International New Testament that read like the EASTERN TEXT of the P'shitta N.T. INSTEAD of like the Western text.

Interesting, huh?

I KNOW that a part of this translation team (of The Way Int.) from the 1980's, is still alive. I can't tell you exactly WHY or HOW I know this is true, till later, but I DO.

I thought that you might find all of this interesting Ryan.

I hope that you enjoyed it.

Shlama, Albion

Messages In This Thread
For Ryan ('Amatsyah') - by *Albion* - 03-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Re: For Ryan ('Amatsyah') - by Amatsyah - 03-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Re: For Ryan ('Amatsyah') - by *Albion* - 03-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Re: For Ryan ('Amatsyah') - by *Albion* - 03-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Re: For Ryan ('Amatsyah') - by Amatsyah - 03-10-2008, 09:33 AM