Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Bible Code" studies are silly!
Shlama Otto,

You wrote: "All I found looking at his data was a typical Gaussian distribution of observations having a larger than ideal variance."

I have had a professional statistician determine otherwise. Have you had someone similarly qualified evaluate my data and come to your conclusion?
A Gaussian distribution is a normal bell shaped curve in which the following are true:
Quote:For a normally distributed data set, the empirical rule states that 68% of the data elements are within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% are within two standard deviations, and 99.7% are within three standard deviations. Graphically, this corresponds to the area under the curve as shown below for 1 and 2 standard deviations. The empirical rule is often stated simply as 68-95-99.7. Note how this ties in with the range rule of thumb, by stating that 95% of the data usually falls within two standard deviations of the mean.

The data from the Peshitta searches come nowhere near to fitting these normal patterns. 42% of the Standard deviations are greater than 3.0, whereas only 0.3% should be that large. I have Standard Deviations which exceed 15.0 and many are greater than 10.0. The results of the control are perfectly normal, with 0.27% of the Z Scores being 3.0 or more. The War and Peace edition I used is the same size as the Torah (307,804 letters), so it is somewhat smaller than The Peshitta NT. That is the largest alternate literary Hebrew text available for searching ELS's.

Otto, you simply don't know what you're talking about, and your anti code bias is shining through plainly for all to see. I don't think you can be objective about this subject, because you have made up your mind a priori that Bible codes cannot exist, no matter how much evidence exists to the contrary.

Ed Sherman has a very good book available which goes through hundreds of long codes and analyzes them statistically and gives the stat formulas and methods used. The book is Bible Code Bombshell He also takes on Brenadan McKay's purported debunk methods and quite conclusively domonstrates that McKay has not produced anything close to rivaling the long messages found and presented on Bible Code Digest's web site by code researchers PHD Physicist and Mathematician, as well as Hebrew expert,Nathan Jacobi, Moshe Shak and others (including lil' ole' me). McKay has produced a few 7 letter long codes and thinks this disproves Bible codes. We have found dozens of long code messages in long sentences over 40 letters long, many more than 100 letters long; several are several hundred letters long, in The Hebrew and Aramaic Testaments. The statistical probabilities of these occurring by chance are zero, and they have not been duplicated in any control text thus far.

Many Blessings,

Dave

Messages In This Thread
"Bible Code" studies are silly! - by ograabe - 02-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Re: "Bible Code" studies are silly! - by yaaqub - 02-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Re: "Bible Code" studies are silly! - by gbausc - 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Re: "Bible Code" studies are silly! - by ograabe - 02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Re: "Bible Code" studies are silly! - by gbausc - 02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Re: "Bible Code" studies are silly! - by ograabe - 02-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Re: "Bible Code" studies are silly! - by gbausc - 02-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Re: "Bible Code" studies are silly! - by ograabe - 03-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Re: "Bible Code" studies are silly! - by gbausc - 03-18-2008, 01:39 AM