Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prohibitation for mixing meat & milk, Biblical?
Shalom,

I've never understood why Jews (esp Orthodox Jews) don't to mix meat & milk, and in Israel there are even seperate resturants & kitchens for dairy and meat products. I've decided to investigate the Scriptures concerning this and I've found this verse:

Quote:Deut 14:21 Never eat any carcass. Give it to the stranger in your gates to eat, or sell it to a foreigner. For you are a holy people to Yahweh your God. Cook no kid in its mother's milk.

This verse is a bit obscure if taken literally, while it doesn't specifically prohibit mixing meat & milk, it does say that kids (baby goats) musn't be cooked in their mother's milk. Perhaps this is a Hebraic idiom, can anyone confirm this for me?

The interesting thing is that there is an example in the Torah of eating meat & dairy together:

Quote:Gen 18:7 Abraham ran to the oxen, and took a tender and good son of an ox, and gave it to a lad to hasten and make it.
Gen 18:8 He took butter and milk, and the son of the ox which he made, and gave it in front of them. He stood by them under the tree, and they ate.

The "them" who Abraham served were actually YHWH and two of his angels, YHWH himself ate meat & dairy together with his angels "and they ate". What is your opinion of this?

Messages In This Thread
Prohibitation for mixing meat & milk, Biblical? - by Christina - 01-30-2008, 08:40 AM