Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was she Greek or not? ??? Mark 7:26 / Matthew 15:22
Mark 7:26

The KJV says: ???The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter.???

The NIV says: ???The woman was a Greek, born in Syrian Phoenicia. She begged Jesus to drive the demon out of her daughter.???

Here is the problem for Greek primacists: This ???Greek??? woman was actually a Canaanite. We know this is the same woman, due to the ???even dogs eat the crumbs??? story in both accounts.

Matthew 15:22

KJV: ???And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.???

NIV: ???A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."???

Does the Peshitta also have this ???contradiction????

The Lamsa says (Mark 7:26): ???But the woman was a heathen, from Phoenicia in Syria; and she besought him to cast out the demon from her daughter.???

The Peshitta says that she is a heathen, not a Greek, and thus does not share this contradiction with the Greek texts.

From the Greek we can be confused as to whether she was Greek or Semitic. From the Peshitta, we only ever get the impression that she was a Semite. This may have been purposely changed to ???Greek??? by Zorba, in order to ???Hellenize??? the Bible. This wouldn???t be the first time. Many references to Arameans/gentiles, were substituted to ???Greeks??? by Zorba, causing much confusion as to the ethnicity of Timothy and Titus (their fathers were Aramean, not Greek).

---

Am I right in assuming that this may have been fraud? Because I find no similarities with the words for heathen and Greek...
I'm working on the contradiction article now, is this a valid one, or am I just being hopeful?