Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rightly dividing the word in John 14:12
Here is the aramaic of John 14:12, ?Amyn amyn amr ana lkun dmn dmhymn by Eabda aylyn dana Eabd ana ap hu nEabd udyThyryn mn hlyn nEabd dana luTh aba azl ana.?

This verse is commonly translated in English to read that the apostles will perform greater works than the Messiah (?Truly, truly I say to you, whoever believes in me, these works that I do, he also will do and more than these will he do, because I go to the father.?)

But it seems to me that a very literal reading of the text suggests otherwise, that the greater works will be performed by Yahshua when he goes to the Father -- the text of John 14:12 reads ?dana? (?of I?) in reference to the works of the speaker, which is Yahshua (focus on the second to last ana). So, Yahshua is contrasting his earthly works (that he has just performed up to John 14) with his future heavenly works (that he will perform when he goes to the Father). I?ll venture world history confirms that the apostles did no work greater than Yahshua?s works. Remember that Yahshua reminded the apostles multiple times that a servant is not greater than his lord. John 13:16, John 15:20. Keep in mind too that the phrase ?greater works? comes from the root word ?rb?, which means master. So we should be careful who we call rb, including even an apostle. Matthew 23:8, ?But you should not be called rby (?rabbi?). For one is your rbkun (?master?) and all of you are brothers.?

On some level this may just be semantics, because when the apostles performed works, they gave full credit to Yahshua and the father YHVH.