Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Khirbet Mird
I ran across a reference to the discovery of the texts at Khirbet Mird. John Allegro mentioned that there were some Syriac mss found there. I was wondering any of these were CoE in nature. I know that they're generally associated with the Byzantines, but the fact that some were in Syriac made me curious. Do any of the Aramaic documents appear to be closely related to the Peshitta?
Thanks in advance, y'all.

Shalom,
Dawid
Not Syriac, Melkite Aramaic:

http://syrcom.cua.edu/Hugoye/Vol1No2/HV1...umaux.html

The Melkite Church (from the Aramaic "Malka", "King") is basically the Imperial Byzantine Greek Church that was forced upon the Aramaic-speaking inhabitants of the Western empire. Hence the "Melkite" name.

They were very heavily Greek-based in liturgy and scriptures. Forget about anything there being remotely related to the Peshitta.

The Melkites still exist as a community, of course.
Thanks for the info, Mr. Younan. Apparently Allegro was mistaken, because he really did say that some of it was in Syriac. huh. Even the experts trip up sometimes.

Shalom,
Dawid
Dawid Wrote:Thanks for the info, Mr. Younan. Apparently Allegro was mistaken, because he really did say that some of it was in Syriac. huh. Even the experts trip up sometimes.

Shalom,
Dawid

They used Estrangelo for the first few centuries, so it looks like Syriac....but it's a very, very different language. For instance, in their gospel translation from the Greek, they always use "Yesus" and "Christos"....in the Estrangelo script, of all things. I was shocked at first reading....I have the gospels in this "Palestinian Christian Aramaic" translation as it's sometimes called.

Very weird.