Peshitta Forum
how to translate "ena na"? - Printable Version

+- Peshitta Forum (http://peshitta.org/for)
+-- Forum: New Testament (http://peshitta.org/for/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General (http://peshitta.org/for/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: how to translate "ena na"? (/showthread.php?tid=2984)

how to translate "ena na"? - yeshua01 - 01-16-2013

Does anyone how to translate "ena na"? Does really mean that when in 1st century Israel you were referring yourself as God? I'm fairly new to peshitta

Re: how to translate "ena na"? - distazo - 01-16-2013

No,

It means 'I am [he]' or 'I am [the one]'.

This phrase is explained as a shortcut to 'I AM WHO I AM', (Exodus 3) however, the formerly blind man, healed by Yeshu, also said "ena na", (John 9:9)

Now, translators as G.D. Bauscher, now translate this as 'I am he' and not as I AM.

So, finally, how 'ena na' is translated, depends on the views of the translator in this case.

Re: how to translate "ena na"? - ScorpioSniper2 - 01-16-2013

While I agree that Jesus' I AM statements in The Gospel of John are declarations of deity, I think that they should have just been translated as "I AM". This is an example of Bauscher getting too interpretive with the text as the translator, and while his interpretation is correct (in my opinion), he should let the Scriptures speak for themselves.

Re: how to translate "ena na"? - yeshua01 - 01-17-2013

I have realized that ena na to be translated is more stand alone sentence, and not almost every time Yeshua says itWink thanks for your input!

Re: how to translate "ena na"? - ScorpioSniper2 - 01-24-2013

"Ena 'na" includes four alefs, why is the third one omitted in the transliteration?

Re: how to translate "ena na"? - SteveCaruso - 01-25-2013

ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:"Ena 'na" includes four alefs, why is the third one omitted in the transliteration?

When a personal pronoun becomes a copula in Syriac and begins with a vowel, it drops the initial vowel. The alef is still written, but is effectively silent.

Not all Aramaic dialects share this feature.

Re: how to translate "ena na"? - ScorpioSniper2 - 01-25-2013

Oh, okay. Thanks, Brother Steve.

Re: how to translate "ena na"? - gregglaser - 05-15-2013

Yahshua says ?ana ana? in John 8:17. And in the very same passage the gospel writer comments that the Pharisees did not understand that Yahshua was actually speaking regarding the Father rather than speaking from his own will. There are countless passages from the old testament where the witness speaks as a medium, with words flowing through him as received from the kingdom of heaven. The bible explains that the sign of a true servant is that he does not speak from his own will. See e.g., John 7:18; Jeremiah 23:16. The Pharisees of course did not want to accept Yahshua as a prophet, let alone the messiah; they did not wish to ?lift him up?, as we can read in the ?ana ana? passage:

Quote:?Much I have against you to say and to judge but he who has sent me true is and I those things which I heard from Him these things are what speak I in the world. And not they know concerning that the Father he spoke to them. Said to them again Yahshua, when lifted up is the son of man then you will know that I am (?ana ana?) and a thing from my own will not do I but as has taught me my Father likewise that speak I. And he who sent me with me is, and not does leave me alone my Father because I whatever pleases to him do I at all times.? John 8:15-18.

Probably the best example to show that "ana ana" is not a claim of divinity per se can be found in John 9:9 where the blind man uses this exact phrase (?ana ana?) to tell the Pharisees that he is who he claims to be (namely, the formerly blind man). The Pharisees did not try to stone this man, because the phrase cannot be separated from its context - it is best translated as "i am he", so the translation can only be understood in the context of a larger sentence that explains who 'he' is. The blind man was emphatically saying that he was the blind man, 'ana ana'. Compare Yahshua who is emphatically recorded in the gospels saying that he is the son of the Father, and yet also that his words come directly from the Father (again, see examples like John 8:17) -- so when Yahshua uses 'ana ana' it is mysterious and cool because Yahshua?s context is mysterious and cool. When the formerly blind man uses the phrase, it is pretty straightforward, because the context makes it so.

Accordingly, to change/translate Yahshua?s ?ana ana? you must find a way to translate/change a mystery, which is difficult and yet another reason why translations can be a kind of tav-nun-yod-nun-aleph.

Re: how to translate "ena na"? - Thirdwoe - 05-15-2013

:

The work of translation also needs to be a work of interpretation at times, if not, some passages/statements can become void of their intended meanings, even though they may be rendered in a possible and correct manner.

Re: how to translate "ena na"? - gregglaser - 05-18-2013

Thirdwoe Wrote::

The work of translation also needs to be a work of interpretation at times, if not, some passages/statements can become void of their intended meanings, even though they may be rendered in a possible and correct manner.

Yes, the art of communication. Art can be so beautiful too, or whatever the sentiment may be whether intended or not (dramatic, frightening, blasphemous, sensual, etc). As they say, art imitates reality.