Peshitta Forum
Just "YAH" - Printable Version

+- Peshitta Forum (http://peshitta.org/for)
+-- Forum: New Testament (http://peshitta.org/for/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General (http://peshitta.org/for/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Just "YAH" (/showthread.php?tid=2649)

Just "YAH" - Chuck Hudson - 06-19-2011

In the Hebrew TNK, the form of The Name "YHWH" is about 50 times given in the shortend form "YAH" ...I am wondering how this is rendered in the Aramaic TNK...since "MARYAH" is used for the full Name, when it was translated from the Hebrew text. Is it "YAH" as well? Or simply "YA" in Aramaic?

For comparison, you could check Psalm 146:1 out, because it has both forms in the same short verse.

Thanks.

Re: Just "YAH" - Burning one - 06-19-2011

Shlama akhi Chuck,

i posted this in the MarYah thread way back. hope it helps!

Hebrew original / Aramaic translation

Sh'moth (Exodus)
15:2 Yah / Marya

Tehillim (Psalms)
94:7 Yah / Marya
94:12 Yah / Marya
114:7 Adown / Marya
115:17-18 Yah / Marya
118:17 Yah / Marya
118:19 Yah / Marya
122:4 Yah / Marya
135:4 Yah / Marya

YeshaYahu (Isaiah)
1:24 HaAdown YHWH / Mara Maruwta
3:1 HaAdown YHWH / Mara Maruwta
10:16 HaAdown YHWH / Marya Alaha
10:33 HaAdown YHWH / Marya Alaha
19:4 Adowneem / Marya
26:4 Yah YHWH / Marya Alaha

Malaki (Malachi)
3:1 HaAdown / Marya

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Re: Just "YAH" - Chuck Hudson - 06-19-2011

Thanks Jeremy,

What does Psalm 146:1 show?

Re: Just "YAH" - Chuck Hudson - 06-19-2011

A literal translation of the Hebrew of Isaiah 26:4 "Trust YAHWEY as long as forever, because YAH, YAHWEY is an eternal Rock."

1st Corinthians 10:4 "and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ."

Psalm 105:41 "He opened the Rock, and water gushed out; like a river it flowed in the desert."

Isaiah 48:21 "They did not thirst when He led them through the deserts; He made water flow for them from the Rock; He split the Rock and water gushed out."

John 19:34 "One of the soldiers, however, pierced his side with a spear, and immediately blood and water flowed out."

[Image: 48018477.jpg]

[Image: fieldreports_split2.jpg]

Re: Just "YAH" - Jerry - 06-19-2011

Greetings Jeremy,

One of my hesitations in assuming MauR-Yau` to be a compound word (MauR + YauH), was my suspicion that the Aramaic doesn't translate the actual Hebrew "YauH" as an Aramaic "Yau`" or "YauH". But since the CAL site has been down for weeks now, I hadn't done a comparison of my own on it. However, based on your post above, it looks as though the Aramaic is using MauR-Yau` (marya) for both the Hebrew "YauH" and "YHWH", at least for the few examples you show.

Anyhow, just wondering if you factor that in as a contrary indicator for a compound word, as I do?

Re: Just "YAH" - distazo - 06-19-2011

Chuck Hudson Wrote:A literal translation of the Hebrew of Isaiah 26:4 "Trust YAHWEY as long as forever, because YAH, YAHWEY is an eternal Rock."

1st Corinthians 10:4 "and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ."

Psalm 105:41 "He opened the Rock, and water gushed out; like a river it flowed in the desert."

Hi Chuck,

spread it forth!

Re: Just "YAH" - Aaron S - 06-19-2011

It is common practice in the Peshitta to write names ending with Yah as [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0y[/font].
Here's the first ten Yah names with their parallel Peshitta transliterations:
  • Aviyah [29] = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yb0[/font] ?[Aviya]
  • Uriyah [223] = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yrw0[/font] ?[Uriya]
  • Azanyah [245] (Yah hears) = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0y9m4[/font] [Shma'ya](Yah hears)
  • Ahazyah [274] = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yzx0[/font] ?[Ahazya]
  • Ahiyah [281] = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yx0[/font] ?[Ahiya]
  • Eliyah [452] = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yl0[/font] ?[Eliya]
  • Amasyah [558] = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0ycwm0[/font] ?[Amosya]
  • Amaryah [568] = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yrm0[/font] ?[Amarya]
  • Asalyahu [683] = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0ycl0[/font] ?[Alasya]
  • Beidyah [912] = [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0yzb[/font] [Bezya]

Re: Just "YAH" - Aaron S - 01-08-2012

Psalm 146 doesn't have Hal'lu-Yah in the Aramaic.
A verse that does have something to work with in the Aramaic though is Isaiah 26:4, which translates Yah YHWH as Marya Alaha.

Re: Just "YAH" - Thirdwoe - 01-09-2012

Aaron, can you give the Aramaic text here...and the translation in a literal English rendering please?

Blessings,
Chuck